Abandoned towns from around the world





Like all men I am genetically programmed to be fascinated by creepy old settlements emptied of their populations. On this thread at dirjournal.com, the author has collated loads of photos of these places from around the world. I’m not going to go into too much detail here, but some of the images are truly mind-blowing. I’m especially a big fan of the pictures of Gunkanjima (below), a once heavily-populated island off Japan that was used for coal mining until it was abandoned in 1974. After a brief Google search I found some more pictures from here. My favourites are immediately below.









Comments

  1. Anonymous8:59 pm

    there's an excellent piece on genkanjima here for those that want to know a bit more http://www.viceland.com/wp/2009/04/battleship-island-japans-rotting-metropolis/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...
    This is really hot sutff.I came by your blog and want to say I have really enjoyed...The pictures which are uploaded here are awesome.Thanks for sharing such a pretty post here...
    Kabel

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment